Monday, April 03, 2006

A week of research

My past birthday week has been very different for me, I'm normally very orderly, planned controlled. For once I decided to be spontanous and unplanned which has thrown up a few serprises.

I've not been affraid to try new things go to old haunts to see how they've changed. I call it a little reasearch.

I supposed this little exercise was good form me to re-access my view on gay culture here in London. I have been quite removed from it for the last 2 years popping out to a bar or club from time to time to be dissapointed or should I say overhelmed by it's intensity. But lately I've been able to look at it all with a bit of objectivity and think about what has the community become.

I have made new friends this week which has been refreshing some younger and older, some affected by the need to conform to what ever they think the should be etc. And some with their heads so screwed on it does gives me hope.

So many people share the same view as that while it's great to have a community that services our needs, but it has become so insular, almost elitist and exclusive when we could be more welcoming and of guidence to a younger generation which don't seem to be aware of who we are as a community and where we have come from to get to 2006.

Don't get me wrong everyone deserves to have as much fun as they what but so much seems to be slipping away from us because of being obsessed with chems & hedonisim with no apparent need for balance in other areas.

A little preachy by me, maybe but this my blog and my thoughts at the moment which is helping re access what I can do with others who are like minded.

2 Comments:

Blogger VJnet said...

Happy be-lated B-Day! It sounds like you had an interesting, reflective birthday week. Is "research" code for party your ass off? I hope so :-)

2:24 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

It's good know that so many other people feel the same way. I feel there's an enormous amount of hype about how great things are now compared to years ago. When it isn't always so...

Sure we have more rights. But I had to laugh recently when an article in one of the main newspapers described how bars and clubs used to be so seedy and underground 15 years ago. I remember the warmth I used to feel walking into those old bars and clubs -- so friendly, more inclusive and a safe space where there was never any trouble.

Are there really more gays bars and clubs in Manchester now than 20 years ago? Take a look at the listings in an old Gay Times... I don't think there really are and certainly not gay-owned ones.

Sometimes it's hard to judge whether it's a case of me getting older, maybe mixing with a different circle. Do people still have parties now? Most just seem to want to go out drinking? We used to go to some great parties with people of all ages. One of our best friends was 65.

Events like the Huddersfield Pink Picnic, circa 1990... Unofficial and wonderful. It just wouldn't happen now.

If there's the demand for non-commercial, less-cynical events that aren't just a piss-up then we should get together and organise some.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home